Earlier this week, like many of you, I braved the grocery stores. Unfortunately, all of the bread shelves were bare! I checked three different stores before finally giving up. That’s when I decided to try my hand at baking fresh bread at home. Apparently I’m not alone. The Washington Post has reported that people are baking bread like crazy right now. My homemade bread was actually extremely easy and very tasty! Below is my easy bread recipe that’s so good, you may never want store bought again!
- 2 1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast (or one 1/4 oz packet)
- 3 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups of Warm Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- 5 to 6 cups of All Purpose Flour
- In a large glass bowl, pour 2 1/4 cups warm water.
- In same bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar and let stand until bubbles form on surface (approximately 30 minutes).
- After 30 minutes, stir oil into yeast mixture.
- With your stand mixer, whisk together remaining sugar, salt, and 3 cups of flour.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour and beat until smooth.
- Next, slowly stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough. (Be careful not to add too much flour. Dough should be soft, not liquid/gooey or hard.)
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (5-10 minutes).
- Place in a greased glass bowl and grease the top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled for 2 hours (on top of a fridge is a great place).
- Once dough has risen, divide in half.
- Shape each into a loaf.
- This is a great time to add any flavor. I like to knead Italian seasonings & garlic powder into one loaf and cinnamon & sugar into the other.
- Next, place loaves in greased 9 x 5 in. loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (1 1/2 hours).
- Bake at 375° until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
- Place on wire racks to cool.
We hoped you liked this easy bread recipe! Now enjoy your cheap and yummy bread!
4 Ingredient Easy Crème Brûlée - Our Thrifty Adventures
[…] may also like our 3 Ingredient Scottish Shortbread Cookies and make sure you follow us on Facebook! Advertisements […]
4 Ingredient Bread Recipe - Our Thrifty Adventures
[…] may also like our Easy Bread Recipe and make sure you follow us on […]